Sunday, May 24, 2009

8 Days 'Til Conan

By a miraculous, happenstantial chance, I am being given the opportunity to attend the first taping of the newly minted Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, which will air June 1.

And apparently, I'm willing to wake up at 6:30 a.m. that morning to wait in line the whole day to get good seats to see my comedic idol. You don't understand, Conan reared my teenage years. I remember when I was 15 and during the summer I had nothing to watch in my bedroom on my antenna television. At 11:35 p.m., though, I was guaranteed to see all out innaity and insanity all in one package in the form of Late Night with Conan O'Brien. And I would laugh my ass off until my parents would yell from downstairs to "wrap up the night" and go to bed.

And I carried that 11:35 p.m. tradition over to my college years when I had nothing to do but to anticipate the next episode of Late Night. There were gems like Conan's impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger and his look into the Year 2000. It was all priceless to me.

Anyways, I will be in attendance for TV history next Monday. Until then, each day of the countdown, I will post a clip from the priceless Late Night days. This one is an oldie but goodie. Nothing says dignified television like a self-pleasuring bear. God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment